Resume – Business and Commercial
Columbia Law School — J.D. 1977, New York, New York
- “Columbia Journal of Transnational Law,” Editor 1976-1977 and Member 1975-1977); Recognition of Achievement with Honors, Parker Program in International and Foreign Law; Columbia University International Fellow.
Stanford University — A.B. with Distinction 1973, Palo Alto, California
- Departmental Honors in Political Science
BUSINESS & COMMERCIAL LITIGATION EXPERIENCE:
Robert A. Merring has practiced with big, medium and smaller firms and as a solo practitioner. Bob has represented clients ranging from Fortune 500 companies to small mom-and-pop businesses and individuals. Both as an advocate and as an ADR professional, he has participated in hundreds of business and commercial litigation matters, including numerous breach of contract suits, sales and lease transactions, franchise disputes, fraud claims, insurance coverage and labor and employment issues. He has also litigated a significant number of antitrust, bankruptcy, employment discrimination, intellectual property, real estate and securities cases.
ALTERNATIVE DISPUTE RESOLUTION EXPERIENCE:
American Arbitration Association: Commercial Arbitrator since 1993; Mediator since 2002; Large Complex Case Panel since 2006; Orange County Superior Court: Civil Arbitrator, Settlement Officer and Temporary Judge since 1993; Mediator since 1998; Early Neutral Evaluator since 2008; United States Bankruptcy Court for the Central District of California: Mediator since 1996; FINRA (formerly NASD Dispute Resolution): Arbitrator, 2006-17; United States District Court for the Central District of California: Attorney Settlement Officer and Mediator since 2006; American Health Lawyers Association (Arbitration and Mediation Panels) since 2016; AMP Mediation: Mediator since 2016; California Society for Healthcare Attorneys, Hearing Officer since 2017.
A SAMPLING OF ADR CASES HANDLED:
- Negotiated the settlement of a breach of licensing agreement between a restaurant chain and a major food manufacturer.
- Arbitrated and mediated numerous franchise cases involving failure to pay royalties, assigned territories, claims arising under the California Franchise Investment Act, post-termination remedies and amicable terminations of franchise relationships..
- Settled an action arising from an agreement for the purchase and sale of a business with a cross-complaint for breach of the implied duty of good faith and fair dealing.
- Conducted dozens of telephonic mediations arising out of a class action settlement agreement against a major insurance company.
- Served as a member of a three-member panel which arbitrated a multi-million dollar suit over the entitlement to patent royalties.
- Settled an action for foreclosure on a mechanic’s lien.
- Chaired or been a member of a three member panel in 12 FINRA securities arbitrations resulting in published awards.
- Mediated a number of matters relating to wrongful termination or alleged sexual harassment or discriminatory conduct in violation of federal and state employment and civil rights laws.
- Resolved several bankruptcy cases by getting the debtor to agree to non-dischargeability usually with an agreed upon work-out schedule.
For a fuller description of Bob’s background, his legal and ADR experiences, training and publications, please click here for his resume.