Resume – Intellectual Property
Columbia Law School — J.D. 1977, New York, New York
- “Columbia Journal of Transnational Law,” Editor 1976-1977 and Member 1975-1977); Recognition of Achievement with Honors, Parker Program in International and Foreign Law; Columbia University International Fellow.
Stanford University — A.B. with Distinction 1973, Palo Alto, California
- Departmental Honors in Political Science
INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY EXPERIENCE:
Beginning with law school and the start of his legal career with a Century City firm which had an emphasis in entertainment law, Robert A. Merring has had an abiding interest in intellectual property and entertainment law. Over the years, he has had substantial experience in trademarks, copyrights, trade secrets, Internet domain name disputes, intellectual property licensing and unfair competition matters and is a past chair of the Intellectual Property and Technology Law Section of the Orange County Bar Association. Bob is also a member of the Orange County Intellectual Property Law Association and the Howard T. Markey Intellectual Property American Inn of Court. He has lectured or been an online seminar panelist on trademarks, copyrights, trade secrets, Internet law and non-disclosure agreements.
ALTERNATIVE DISPUTE RESOLUTION TRAINING:
Over 600 hours of alternative dispute resolution training, most notably through Pepperdine Law School==s Straus Institute for Dispute Resolution, Harvard Program on Negotiation and American Arbitration Association.
ALTERNATIVE DISPUTE RESOLUTION EXPERIENCE:
American Arbitration Association: Commercial Arbitrator since 1993; Mediator since 2002; Large Complex Case Panel since 2006; Orange County Superior Court: Civil Arbitrator, Settlement Officer and Temporary Judge since 1993; Mediator since 1998; Early Neutral Evaluator since 2008; United States Bankruptcy Court for the Central District of California: Mediator since 1996; FINRA (formerly NASD Dispute Resolution): Arbitrator, 2006-17; United States District Court for the Central District of California: Attorney Settlement Officer and Mediator since 2006; American Health Lawyers Association (Arbitration and Mediation Panels) since 2016; AMP Mediation: Mediator since 2016; California Society for Healthcare Attorneys, Hearing Officer since 2017.
A SAMPLING OF ADR CASES HANDLED:
- Arbitrated disputes for breach of confidentiality agreements and unfair competition.
- Settled an action brought by a well-known musician for trademark infringement.
- Served as a member of a three-member panel which arbitrated a multi-million dollar suit over the entitlement to patent royalties.
- Negotiated the settlement of a breach of licensing agreement between a restaurant chain and a major food manufacturer.
- Resolved an intellectual property and fraud dispute between two church factions concerning the right to use and publish copyrighted works.
- Mediated a multi-party dispute under the Visual Artist Rights Act and the California Art Preservation Act arising from the destruction of a building mural.
- Resolved a suit for copyright infringement stemming from illegal file-swapping through a peer-to-peer network.
For a fuller description of Bob’s background, his legal and ADR experiences, training and publications, please click here for his resume.